Tuesday 26 June 2012

Not a Card

Have you ever just decided to try making something other than a card using your card making and scrapbooking skills? The Simon Says Stamp Challenge this week is to make "Anything BUT a Card". Pictured here are a couple of wooden birdhouses that I chose to "scrap" for a change of pace. These were not the tiny wooden houses you often see in dollar stores, but were quite a bit larger, measuring approximately 5 inches wide and 7 inches tall.



I first painted the bare wood with white craft paint to act as a base coat. I made patterns using light weight printer paper in order to cut patterned paper to fit the various dimensions of the walls.

On the hexagonal house, I punched many small ovals, curled them, and then mounted them in layers from the edge of the roof to the peak. The word, "Home", was cut from black card stock using a Silhouette machine. All of the papers used to decorate the hexagonal house were from the "Konnichiwa" patterned paper line from BasicGrey. The house was embellished with artificial floral branches, scrappers floss, and ribbon.

I painted parts of the square house with pale turquoise, brown, champagne gold, and pink craft paints to match the colours in the BasicGrey "Nook & Pantry" papers that I chose to decorate the sides and roof. I used golden coloured seed beads to embellish the pattern on the roof and gold beads from Stampin' Bella on either side of the entrance hole. The final touch was the gold coloured rick-rack and ribbon on the base of the house.

I had great fun decorating these houses. I went on to decorate many more. They make very novel gifts. You should give it a try sometime!


Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous bird houses Carol ,, so CUTE !! the colours and details are absolutely fabulous !! LOVE 'em ! :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, these are wonderful! I love your idea and with all the beautiful papers out there, you could make this the focal point of a room! Thanks so much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment.